- Dave’s choice of an Arduino as the brains of his new power supply is giving him strife.
- They are manufacturing the 6502 again! Similar to how Rochester Electronics makes old parts.
- “Programming (Hardware) is like sex: One mistake and you’ll support it for the rest of your life!”
- Chris is looking at a new project and considering new uC’s and mp3 chips. Looked at Limor’s (LadyAda’s) Minty MP3 project and a few other projects people have done. Maybe MP3s aren’t necessary?
- People always have an opinion when it comes to programming!
- The supply chain in the immediate area can affect electronics companies. Salary is a small part of keeping jobs “insourced”.
- Obama announced manufacturing initiatives as well, but are they realistic?
- Dave was upset to learn about the true specs of the MCP4922.
- What do you tell kids to study to be ready for jobs in 10 years? Dave got it right: whatever the field, be passionate. (Thanks to @Sheltoneer for the link)
- Do the gray beards of SV have passion still? Why can’t older engineers find jobs? Are there any “stable” engineering jobs?
- If you can’t find ’em, train ’em! Living Social is going to try and teach 24 software people from scratch. What criteria would be used to determine if you should teach someone hardware from scratch?
- If you want to learn “startups” from scratch, check out Haxlr8r. You have until Jan 31st to apply for their hardware development program.
- If you’ve got bare walls around your lab, Agilent is offering some fun posters (via reddit).
- And by popular request from Dave, Weird Al’s version of “I’ll Sue Ya”:
Thanks to Windell Oskay for the flea market picture!