NOTE: I apologize about the sound quality on this recording. Thanks to the Zoom H1 autogain (very bad thing) and recording in a cubby like desk at my house (nearly as bad as the autogain) I sound like a mouth breathing, key pounding cubby troll. I’m very sorry and I tried to fix it best I could. If you hear the occasional ramp up of background noise or mouth breathing, forgive me.
So did my Dave Jones impression fool you? No? I thought it was pretty bad as well. Dave is unfortunately under the weather and was not up to doing a show this week. In all honesty, he is rightly saving his voice for his upcoming trip to the US! Very exciting for him! And of course very exciting for Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory, as Dave Jones will be attending his taping! I know I’d be pumped!
Anyway, we were very lucky to have Jeff Keyzer of Mighty Ohm join me in Dave’s stead this week. Jeff explained more about his background during the show, so onto the links!
- Jeff was one of the first to receive an Arduino Uno board.
- The ATmega8U2 is a big difference to the board, people are already hacking it.
- It uses a USB to Serial stack written by Dean Camera.
- Some issues but good response from the Arduino team.
- “Getting Started with Arduino” by Massimo Banzi is a great starter book.
- But not as great as Jeff’s new book with Mitch Altman will be!
- Getting young ladies involved in electronics is usually a matter of applications more than how it’s taught.
- How else can we get kids interested in STEM?
- Who else can we get engineers interested in twitter? (BBC article on social media)
If we missed anything or if you have other magazines that are similar to Silicon Chip or Elektor, please leave them in the comments. Thanks again to Jeff for helping out this week!
NOTE: I apologize about the sound quality on this recording. Jeff actually went out of his way to try and get a good setup but then I go use my Zoom H1 with the autogain on (very bad thing) in a cubby like desk at my house (nearly as bad as the autogain). I’m very sorry and will try to fix it next week.