Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS
Our 100th episode! Thank you so much to everyone who has continued listening and supporting us! And thanks to Jeff Keyzer for helping us continue broadcasting each week!
- Happy (recent) Birthday Dave! What an awesome cake! And a video documenting the details!
- The Amp Hour has an updated server!
- We also have a brand new Discussion Server (http://discuss.theamphour.com) to try and promote more community among our listeners. We want you all to get to know one another. Check out that link or the “Discuss” link at the top of the page!
- Car Talk is going off the air soon after 25+ years of radio. Sad!
- Miroslav Batek has this great idea for stick-on labels for micros with the pinout!
- Dave will have a booth at the upcoming Electronex show in Sydney. What should he do at his booth?
- The Canton Fair coming up in China will have over 210,000 buyers. Wow!!
- Fabs are being built all over the world. TSMC just announced they’re building a 450mm fab for $8-10B! That’s a lot of money!
- Speaking of large chip companies, Intel’s head of mobile dismissed ARM as a competitor recently. Really? Where are the phones with Intel chips?
- Looking for old semi equipment? Alvaro let us know about the used semi equipment you can buy from Texas Instruments online. Someone call Jeri!
- Got some old machines? Make some analog chips! Fab processes move down the chain from digital to analog, as laid out by a VP from TI, Dr. Venu Menon. He was being interviewed by our guest from last week, Steve Leibson.
- Graduating from school soon? Looking for work? One of our listeners, Cody Shaw, wrote in about his 555 business card.
- @Laen has recently transitioned the Dorkbot PCB service over to OSHPark! Check out the new site!
- Fluxor from Engineer Blogs wrote a few weeks back about his interview style for new engineers. The main lesson? Know your basics!
- Dave got a $30, 7″ TFT-based eReader. Chris reiterated his point of view about abstracting interfaces for devices.
- Sensationalizing technology in the media: CNBC reports on the “Backdoor” put into an Actel FPGA.
- Through Silicon Vias are crazy. Texas Instruments is now doing trying them on their 28 nm process. Dave did a video about orders of magnitude:
- Chip of the Week!
- TI (really the now-defunct National Semi–you can tell by the part name) now have a controller to create a GaN based Buck controller (for high temperature, high voltage or fast switching), the LM5113 GaN Controller. It’s amazing how delicate these devices are for being able to handle so much voltage across them!
Thanks for listening for the past 100 episodes! We appreciate it so much!
Be sure to drop by the Discussion Area and get to know one another! See you there!
Thanks to kcgiessen for the party soundclip!
Congratulations The Amp Hour for coming into triple digit episode number zone! It’s awesome!
And, by the way, happy birthday Dave!
I thought that Fluke was real until heard that it is a cake. Nice! 🙂
Happy Birthday Da..vis Jo..nes
Sebastian Gajate says
Hey Dave!! Happy Bithday!! Greatings from Argentina!!
Downloading the show to my phone and listening on my way to work! 🙂
Awesome cake by the way!
Great cake Dave! Happy Birthday, and congrats to you both on the 100th show.
From what I hear, cartalk is going to go into ‘not quite reruns’ no new content, but they will be using a lot of unused ‘historical’ content
Lucky dip for ex-review DMMs and stuff?
Guess the number of DMMs in the glass case?
Commit to showing some finished products so you have a deadline…
Jelle Haandrikman says
Congratulations on the 100th episode of The Amphour. and happy birthday to Chris.
It certainly is the best electronics radio show on the world. I always like listening to your show during work.
I think the tear down would be great at the exhibition. Or do a Q&A with the audience.
I’d like to see a cake construction techniques video.
I think it is done with a Makerbot icing attachment.
Oh, yes, I agree about the construction techniques info.
BTW Dave, next year ask for an oscilloscope cake! CH!
Congratulations guys, the 100th show is a big deal!
The Amp Hour is good value too, by my playlist stats it looks like we’ve got 109 hours of actual content!
The format still works well and great fun to listen to as always.
Here’s to another 100 episodes.
Hannes H. says
What to do at the booth? Why do you ask? Presenting booth babes, of course!
And here it all starts again, it’s for geeks, for geeks! jaja, CH!
Neat discussion forum guys. How did you guys set up the forum? I am thinking of setting up one for my site. Where can I grab the sources?
Many congratulations on 100 episodes!!! You guys have been an inspiration in our own podcasts, and we know how much work goes into it. Here’s to many more!
j from bc says
Thanks for these 100 episodes guys. <3 You f'in rock.
Congratulations on your 20dB show, loved it! I look forward to your next milestone (show number 0x0100) when, to Dave’s sorrow, you will have to use a full 16-bit accumulator (no cheating with the carry bit!) 🙂
I saw a move to the light side from Chris when he said “drilling and oil well (…) thousands of METERS down…” –
I loved the CotW… Learned a lot about GaN transistors!
Happy 100th episode The Amp Hour
From when i started listening..back in the early days..the quality has increased so much. It was good then..it is great now..
Nice Cake Dave that gets you some real street geek cred 😉
I must admit I took your advice and had my small walking robot from third year design which had six legs for my interviews last year when i was looking for a job. It works so i get what the 555 business card can do for you at an interview but you have to careful and not be too generic or too much of a show off to rub people the wrong way.
You have to do live teardowns at the Electronex Dave..
I can imagine you pointing out some flaw in the design and the design engineers in the next booth nodding while the marketers jump in with their comback…the drama would be worth the entry price.
Ohh, I can see Dave, 10 secs after shouting out “uuuaaa, fail!” on a live product teardown at his booth, with a straitjacket on and two tall men dressed in white, dragging him out of sight, jaja.
BTW, awesome cake. CH!
Happy 100 episodes! …and happy birthday Dave.
Best wishes to all, Charlie.
Are you serving the podcast MP3s with your new server?
Chris Gammell says
Nope, still using LibSyn. That’s what our donors have allowed us to do, and it’s awesome!
The cake is NOT a lie! It just needs a new set of batteries and calibration. Happy birthday to Dave, and happy centenary (centweekery?) to The Amp Hour!
Feliz cumpleaños che!!!!.
Trad. from Argenti-panish: happy birthday guys!!!.
For both the podcast and Dave.
This is a excellent podcast, with awesome info, perspectives about the EE world, news, and a lot of fun. Your personalities combine very well and you are improving constantly.
Now your podcast number needs 3 digits, 7 bits!!!!, and very soon a full 8-bit podcast 🙂
Congratulations and keep it rolling.
100 episodes! really it mention the hardwork and determination. Happy Birthday Dave! you should continue this and celebrate golden jubliee.