Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS
With Chris and Elecia White of Embedded.fm
Please fill out the 2015 survey!
Offered mostly without comment, because
Chris lost all his notes it’s worth listening to the show! Also there weren’t many links this week. Please leave comments if you think any of the links should be in here.
Congrats on your 255th show. Your loyal listeners have not forgotten the ‘repeated’ April fools show.
Chris you should dig up some of the early shows when Dave’s views on Twitter matched his Facebook views.
Dave cant understand this! Because is smart watch, to use it, you should be a smart person,
ru4mj12 (@ru4mj12) says
Hoping to see a Wordle of Dave’s youtube channel comment history!
Is this the episode with the ‘graduate level’ course on Kalman filters?
And the episode of Josh Bleecher Snyder from Paypal
Good times at the Random manufacturing conference… Solidcon!
The Jerri Ellsworth video where she talks about failing?
Geekmom had a good gyroscope/accelerometer post with a nice explanation of the math :
Rafael Souza says
I agree with Dave regarding the fact the Smart Watch is actually dumb from the get go. This is a sign of new times. When you turn on a brand-new Apple Wi-Fi-only iPad (not the GSM version), without a working Wi-Fi connection you cannot do anything with it. I also like to think as an Ikea product: some assembly required.
However, in the day-to-day when push comes to shove, the product has to go out “as-is” and the consumers perform the final assembly and eventually become beta testers.
john crowhurst says
the Smart Watch is actually dumb LOL – I seen the EEVblog videos, also you all on the AH need to Watch your safes as them Robots are getting smarter! tweeting & also auto-blogging news , if a Robot ever gets “A” Sense of Humor with “B” cool voice! its all over. – always find the time to dig up some LOL dirt on them bigass tec $corporate’s 🙂
Paul Bird says
Totally agree with Dave. As an engineer, it is understandable to not have the product finished when shipped, but as a consumer, when I purchase an item, I do not expect to have to ‘FAF’ around with it. I expect it to be able to at least have some basic functionality out of the box. I would not expect to have to visit my car dealer when my new car arrives, and have to get it towed to the petrol station to fuel it up.
If I have a good customer experience, I will probably buy the next version, but if not, then see ya!
My opinion on the smartwatch thing is that having something on the watch (or whatever similar product) when you first turn it on speaks better of the developer. The µView, for example, when you power it, you have a very nice demo.
The best moments are when Chris keeps asking if this is the actual show.
Good choice of title…this really was not a show. I felt better about coming to this conclusion on hearing how the show ends with questions of “have we started yet?”
Your guests voices and short quippy one liners make them sound like they should be the next hosts of Delicious Dish (check the YouTubes for past SNL skits) and are a bit too snarky and smugly self-satisfied by half. Part of the appeal of the Amp Hour is the refreshing charm Dave brings to the show…and these two don’t have it.
I’m with Dave on the Pebble. Gadgets should be functional out of the box. Your guests seem mired in the “but we’ve always shipped stuff that doesn’t work without firmware updates and are powerless to question or change this pattern”. I get that engineers don’t dictate release schedules or have final say in what ships, but their attitude of “that’s just the way it always works in consumer electronics” is part of the problem.
Also please beware of the podcaster’s trap of assuming you are just like your audience, especially when you spend 20 minutes discussing the pros and cons of conferences. I would wager that 90% of your listeners never have and never will attend an industry or professional conference, and the remaining 10% almost all go strictly as a kind of company-paid vacation or junket and will never be a speaker. The venn diagram of tech/engineering podcasters and conference speakers has a very high degree of overlap, but most of your audience really doesn’t care about the conference-speakers’ angst and issues.
About the only bits of this show that were interesting were the discussions of prototyping devices that could use colored LEDs to identify gestures.
OK, enough bitching and moaning!