Though it’s been a sad week for the field of analog engineering, we want to honor Bob Pease and Jim Williams’ passing. They were wonderful educators, engineers and people and we felt honored to even talk about them on the show. Please share any comments you might have about either of these two great men in the comments section.
- Chris just returned from a friend’s wedding and wrote an engineer’s guide to Vegas.
- Ivan Hamilton was nice enough to send along a copy of Silicon Chip magazine. It’s a great! Ivan has some great projects of his own on his website!
- Bob Pease died while driving home from Jim Williams funeral, doubling the loss of great analog engineers.
- Paul Rako has a touching obituary and a comment section with many people sharing fun stories from the past
- Bill Schweber also has a great piece about Bob, along with the story we read on air about how he resigned from Philbrick.
- If you’re in the Bay Area and would like to attend, EDN is remembering both Bob and Jim, tomorrow, June 21st.
- If you’re looking for a feed-only option to find out when the latest Amp Hour is posted, check out The Amp Hour twitter account.
- If twitter isn’t enough, we could buy a Top Level Domain (TLD) for $185,000. How about theshow.theamphour? or We’re.nerds?
- Friend of the show, Jeri Ellsworth, has been working on a great Software Defined Radio in recent videos. Chris tries to explain (wiki does better).
- The price of LEDs to drop 90% in 4 years? How?
- Dave needs a new camera. Is he at the high end? Or does he need to go higher?
- Perhaps he should buy a pair of these videocamera sunglasses, being funded by Kickstarter. Could be a good way around this Apple DRM-at-concerts idea, recently patented.
- New Android-specific processor being made by a fabless house in China? Could be similar to the ill-fated Java-based processor idea.
- Other chip companies playing nice? AMD and ARM striking up deals to make chips talk better.
- Get free copies of AutoDesk to get started with their software. Good for the hobbyists!
- Other hobbyists are heading out to space! Awesome!
We’ll keep Jim and Bob’s families in our hearts. Be sure to read some of their old app notes (mentioned in the show) or watch some old videos (also mentioned in the show) to remember just how awesome they both were!