Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS
This episode was sponsored by Mouser Electronics. Check out TheAmpHour.com/immersive for more information about Immersive Technology and how it might change your engineering workflow.
Welcome, Florin of the Voltlog YouTube Channel!
- Florin is a YouTuber and consulting engineer based out of Romania.
- Chris has many of the low cost finds that Florin discusses on his channel, often on the “In The Mail” segments. His focus on low cost comes from the hassle of importing and paying VAT on equipment.
- Florin likes that Mouser allows him to pay the taxes up front.
- He got into electronics early and eventually ended up selling dev boards to his school based on the PIC32.
- After school, he went to work in the automotive space, including for Continental
- Florin once met up with past guest Andreas Spiess, while he was visiting Romania.
- Automotive videos come from his general interest in cars but also working on automotive chips for Freescale in France from 2011-2012
- The ESP32 CanLite has GPIO in addition to LIN/CAN
- CAN bus is a protocol, without any requirements on the formatting of the message (or frame)
- The parts (and the entire product) would need to work over a wide temp range to be useful in a car long term.
- What are users doing with the CanLite?
- Grabbing info from car
- Interfacing with CAN
- We have discussed CAN bus with Macchina on the show before
- CAN works with a “lowest wins” bus topology.
- Florin is also consulting when he’s not making videos. People find him via YouTube.
- He has had 3 Different labs, in his latest, he made a custom workbench:
- Florin recently got into ham radio (callsign: YO4VLT) and built a UHF repeater/gateway:
- His new office also has a Tasmota floor heater, so he built a control board for it
- Looking for gift ideas for the holidays? Florin has you covered:
- Chris asked for 2 recommendations off the list:
- Cheap option: a metal plunger for syringes for dispensing paste or flux
- More expensive, but still around #100: a Uni-T waveform generator:
The transcript is autogenerated from Zencastr, our recording software. We attach no guarantees to its accuracy, but offer it as a way to make the show more accessible: 568 – Voltlog – Auto-Transcript