Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS
Welcome back, Shahriar Shahramian from The Signal Path!
- Shahriar has been a guest on the show twice before
- Bell Labs bought by Nokia
- Shahriar works at the Murray Hill campus
- He is the head of the mmwave ASIC research group
- Research group only has 8 people
- Have multiple designs happening at once
- Task switching between optical and RF chips
- Software stuff at Bell Labs research is wide ranging
- Moore’s law for RF
- Going beyond the Marconi era: Doing phased array transmissions
- Cramming more bits per hertz
- Going from 4G to 5G requires going to higher frequencies
- Transmitting GHz frequencies in all directions would blow the link budget
- Would require Phased Arrays in order to transmit only power to reach individual devices
- 256 transmitter and 128 receiver antennas in order to beamform
- Beamforming in 5G will require line of sight
- At 90 GHz (5G frequencies), the signal would not be able to pass through modern windows (because of the coating on the glass)
- 5G will solve the latency issues that plagues 4G LTE
- Link margin is how much above the absolute noise of the system are you
- Types of modulation
- Encoding based on the momentum of the polarization of the signal
- Common mode modulation creating phantom channels
- “The Fact That It Works Is Absolute Magic”
- Bose Einstein Condensate Experiment
- The dynamic range of peoples’ perspectives
- “If you don’t teach people how to sort through information during the information age, then you have no idea how the world is going to turn out”
- How to initiate a phased array connection
- Why do you need so many antenna elements in receive mode?
- Active denial system tested by the military
- Shahriar bought a SiBEAM (now “Silicon Image”) 60 GHz phased array system that creates a wireless HDMI link off of eBay
Ido Gendel says
Always great to hear intelligent people talk about interesting stuff 🙂 Thanks Dave and Shahriar!
Fernando Zigunov says
As soon as you read Shahriar’s name you know it’s going to be good stuff!
Nice! This was a great one and on a sidenote, i didn’t mind the political talk at all, it was nice to hear!
Doc Pedersen says
Are you kidding me? Just listenened to this podcast and could not believe my ears. Shahriar boldly states that MARCONI invented radio? No less than the SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES ruled that TESLA predated Marvoni by at least 3 years. Yet this myth persists.