Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS
(image thanks to the Hackaday.io)
Welcome Scotty Allen of Strangeparts.com!
- Chris and Scotty were just hanging out at Supercon. Scotty gave a talk from there last year.
- Scotty’s latest video is about making an RFID chip
- Kitchen Confidential
- Scotty did software consulting in college and then joined the Google search team.
- He decided to quit and travel more and was became a “Minimalist by default” when he accidentally set apartment on fire.
- Blog posts in 2014 had him curious about Shenzhen, including posts from Ian from Dangerous Prototypes.
- He first visited with Mitch Altman during his yearly tour to China.
- Greg from RevRobotics makes parts for FRC
- The process to stay in China
- WePay (really “WeChat Pay”)
- QR codes
- Scotty knows some conversational Chinese, but also relies on Google translate and Microsoft translate (OCR).
- Factory tours
- Videoes with Collin Abroadcast in the Yiwu commodities market outside of Shanghai
- Inside the massive market
- Cashierless convenience store
- Places Scotty wants to tour (please contact if you know of any contacts)
- Silicon fab
- Batteries – LiPo
- Injection molding – greg nedall
- White label modification
- 100 units
- Chinese entrepreneurs use local manufacturing
- iPhone testing board (also pictured above) is a good example
- Intermeshed network of specialized manufacturing
- People shop around for quality/relationships
- Finding factories
- Moving outside of Shenzhen
- Mismatched expectations
- Chinese entrepreneurs
- Moving upmarket
- Shanzai phones
- Made in China 2025
- 100 year plan with 5 year plan segments
- Scotty doesn’t plan to start a QVC channel
- DSLR video shooter
- Background in video/theater
- Story telling
- The Engineers journey
- Any complex project goes through the heroes journey
- The only way through is to change who they are as a person
- There are two ways the story can finish
- Explaining why it can’t be done
- Battery stories with past guest Steve Kreuzer
- Boards brought from the market
- Scotty is growing the Strangeparts team, namely looking for a COO.
- Contact Scotty on
- Twitter @strangepartscom
Good guest. But I am still waiting for Clive Mitchel (bigclivedotcom).