Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS
Welcome, Simone Giertz! (@simonegiertz)
- Simone’s company back in Sweden is called Artificial Stupidity
- Since creating her first robot GIF a couple years ago, Simone has been crowned the “queen of shitty robots“.
- Chris first met Simone at HardwareCon in 2014. She was working with Colin Karpfinger at PunchThrough, makers of the Light Blue Bean.
- Simone’s great-great-grandfather was one of the founders of Ericsson!
- The kits Simone has been using lately are from Vex Robotics. Previously she has showcased items from Actobotics.
- Simone is mulling the idea of making her own Maker Kits, but has dealt with sourcing issues.
- Chris talked about his machining journey and highly recommended the Guerrilla Guide to Machining. This shows methods for making molds for small gears, which can be used to gear down high RPM motors.
- Simone has also been working at Tested.com. She works alongside Adam Savage and the other crew there.
- Beginners mind (Shoshin) is important when teaching and learning new subjects.
- Simone has been building out her lab and made a “favorite things” video for 2016.
- As part of her sponsorship agreements (the good ones that stuck around!), she visited CES last week.
- Chris called out the Internet of Shit twitter moment that showcased some bogus gadgets.
- One of Simone’s favorite things there was the Furrion racing robot. This would be a racing league in the same way that Megabots will be a robot fighting league.
- Simone has a new show for premium viewers called “It might work“.
Thanks to Simone for stopping by! For those who listen past the credits, here is the tweet Chris is referencing.
For welding stuff look up ChuckE2009 on YouTube. He shows all kinds of welding techniques and is such a positive guy. He can weld, that’s for sure.
A link to Bunny’s electronic guide book – https://www.adafruit.com/product/3189 (may be available from other supliers)
That was a lot of fun to listen to. Simone is a cool person, love all the silly banter, humble intelligence rocks, thank you for braving the interview, Simone, and keep having fun making crazy fisting robots and such. All the best & happy home building, 73(-1)
ru4mj12 (@ru4mj12) says
Not sure how well they work, but there’s solderless headers!
ru4mj12 (@ru4mj12) says
BTW, the Great Courses (teaching company) has a very cool Robotics course taught by John Long. It’s not meant to be a walkthru of building your own, but rather an overview of the different technologies.
I have the biggest crush on her right now. I’d take her on the nerdiest date.
Points for the most mentions of fisting that I’ve ever heard on an amp hour podcast.