Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS
Back this week for a Thanksgiving-adjacent show!
Dave has a new 80s intro.
- Chris used to watch Bill Nye, Dave used to watch the Curiosity show.
- Dave did a review of Tesla500’s camera. He is our planned guest for next week!
- On Hackaday, they wrote about the fact that IoT has no standard, but could have with Twitter (using tweet meta data)
- Cringely wrote about saving the IoT
- There was a recent critique about Nest’s business model, instead saying that all IoT hardware should be sold as a service
- The OSI layer model.
- Chris met and was talking with Amelia, the head of GE’s new Fuse program. It’s a B2B contest for hard problems like detecting welds. This is similar to their previous First Build program, before the GE Appliance group was sold to a Chinese company.
- Chris just found out about the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago. How did he not know about that? There should be some kind of Nerd Map…and now there will be! NerdyMap.com was just bought by Chris!
- Dave found an old intro to his proposed travel youtube channel.
- Business expenses are important for consultants. Not mentioned on air, but Embedded had a great episode with their accountant.
- Hackster bought by Avnet.
- Siemens buys Mentor Graphics.
- Micrium bought by SiLabs.
- The Open V project just launched on Crowd Supply! It is the first fully open source chipset and has a hefty goal ($480K). Consider backing the $99 kit, as this seems like it would allow you to immediately start playing with that chip.
- Check out their GitHub repo!
- The documentation and scope of this project (for a teenager, let alone anyone) is amazing. Read about how to build an SDR from scratch.
- Chris thought that Dave had said “Documentation is a waste of time“. It turns out that was his former co-worker.
- There is a new LIDAR chip from Osram that is only $5.
Happy Thanksgiving to all of our US listeners. And we are thankful for our Patreon sponsors!
Thanks to Patrick Barry for the map