Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS
- Dave’s knee is gross. You can see all the videos and updates about it on his secondary channel.
- A research lab claims to have made PV cells that mimic photosynthesis.
- Hyperloop busted by thunderf00t?
- A reader asked about non-fiction books. Chris was more excited to talk about the fiction book he’s reading, Seveneves.
- What would happen if the sun vanished?
- Former guest Chuck Peddle
- Avnet is the top bid for Premier Farnell
- ADI is buying LT.
- We love LTSpice and had the chance to chat with the head of it, Mike Engelhardt.
- ARM was bought by SoftBank. In an article about why SB is paying 32B, they talk about the possibility that ARM starts mfg their own chips.
Missing links? You can always see our list of links on our subreddit, /r/TheAmpHour or see the same links posted to our twitter, @TheAmpHour. You can support the show via our Patreon Page.
Thanks to Ruin Raider for the picture of the collision.
I was thinking of buying shares in Linear Tech only a few days before the announcement of the merger. They have the best datasheets and website out of all of the semiconductor companies, much better than AD’s. :'(
John c says
Hyperloop may work for cross city Fedex parcel express. but Not for passengers in my opinion,
because of claustrophobia and safety considerations like we need to exit this pod now ,their is smoke or fire!. So have maglev trains for passengers, and leave the vacuum tube Hyperloop for parcel express only.
Also in my opinion high energy density fossil fuels and Low efficiency internal combustion engines still have the highest power to weight ratio. compared to high efficiency electric motors powered by Low energy density batteries and charged by even lower efficiency solar photo-voltaic technology. ust as the heavier-than-air “Solar Impulse” is not much better than the “The Wright Flyer” of 1905 So in my opinion electric motors ,batteries & photo-voltaic technology would be better off in a commercial 20+ passenger carrying rigid airship. with helium as the lifting gas. in my opinion the large surface area of a rigid airship will work for a solar photo-voltaic skin.as an aerial cruise liner for rich Treehuggers.
As for Mergers & acquisitions of semiconductor companies, is like the biological cellular division activity going in reverse. eventually we will have just one big fat global company -the New World Order, & its big cell like EYE spying on all of us, with its mark of the beast! this is the ultimate Merger of all time, & yes it has its own semiconductor a RFI 666 Chip. YyyyeeeeKK!
in my opinion this is company Mergers & acquisitions going too far.
ru4mj12 (@ru4mj12) says
Where is the link to the anesthesia podcast? What is the one from radiolab?
Fellow Cringely blogger, charbax, had a good video on the whole arm buyout from softbank
BTW, how is hacking your car’s firmware and then getting into an accident, different than swapping engine parts with high performance ones and getting into an accident?
Lawrence Billson says
It was Radiolab that did the podcast about anesthetics and monitoring the brain signatures. Link here: http://www.radiolab.org/story/anesthesia/